How to Write a Persuasive Essay on School Uniforms
One of the most popular topic for essays during elementary, middle, or high school is school uniforms. There are really only two positions on this topic:
- School uniforms are bad
- School uniforms are good
Regardless of which side of the fence you sit, you can be sure that your teacher has read hundreds and maybe even thousands of essays similar to what you will write. Your goal with this essay isn’t to prove your point. It is to show that you are capable of critical thinking, researching, and citing references to help your case.
Use Studies and Experiments to Help
The most important thing with a school uniform essay is referring to professional studies on the topic. If you are able to back up your position by referencing these studies your teacher will know that you’re capable of finding research materials appropriate to your assignments.
Since this is one of the key components on which you’ll be graded, you don’t want to skip this step. Talk to your librarian to get help finding books and papers on the topic. Take that information and include it in your essay. Be sure to cite each reference appropriately (either MLA or APA format) so that you don’t lose points.
Avoiding Common Approaches
The two common approaches for this topic are:
- School uniforms limit creativity
- School uniforms improve safety
Avoid these two topics. Here are a few other approaches you can take:
- School uniforms cause a financial burden on less affluent families
- School uniforms allow students to focus on academics more than fashion trends
- School uniforms are beneficial if subsidized by the school
- School uniforms aren’t appropriate for public schools since they aren’t required for public places
- School uniforms help students learn about standards for professional attire and prepare them for a career after graduating
These topics are all fairly fresh and haven’t been written to death. If you use one of these topics be sure to rewrite your thesis statement instead of copying it word for word. Again, use the available resources to back up your position with facts.
Your teacher will be impressed to see that you are capable of performing appropriate research. He will also be glad to see a creative and unique approach to a recycled topic.
If you follow the suggestions in this article you will find yourself with a perfectly graded essay on school uniforms.